Here are the steps to soak off acrylic nails at home:
- Gather your supplies: a bowl, acetone, a towel, a nail file, and a cuticle pusher or orange stick.
- File the topcoat off your acrylic nails. This will help the acetone to penetrate the acrylic and break it down more effectively.
- Pour acetone into the bowl and soak a cotton ball in it. Place the cotton ball on your nail and wrap it with a piece of foil. Repeat this process for each nail.
- Let the cotton balls sit on your nails for about 20-30 minutes, or until the acrylic begins to soften.
- Use the cuticle pusher or orange stick to gently scrape the softened acrylic off your nails. If the acrylic is still not coming off easily, you may need to soak your nails for a little longer.
- Once all the acrylic has been removed, use a nail file to smooth out the surface of your natural nails, and wash your hands with soap and water to remove any leftover acetone.
- Finish by applying cuticle oil to nourish your nails and cuticles.
If you are not comfortable using acetone, you can also try using a soak-off gel polish remover or a nail polish remover with acetate. These products may take longer to dissolve the acrylic, but they are less drying to the nails and skin.